Originally founded in 2004 in Seattle, the Recovery Café is a healing community supporting recovery from addiction and other mental health challenges. Recovery Café communities are anchored in membership and belonging, and grounded in the truth that every human being is precious and worthy of love regardless of their earlier trauma, mental and emotional anguish, addictive behaviors, or past mistakes. In this workshop we will describe the core commitments of the Recovery Café model, share stories of those whose lives have been impacted by it, and explore the pathway to becoming part of the growing Recovery Café Network.
- Discuss the core commitments and guiding principles that support recovery in a Recovery Café
- Identify the elements that create healing community, including peer leader development practices
- Identify the place of Recovery Café in a Recovery Oriented System of Care
- Address the growing need for accessible and welcoming services for those struggling with homelessness, addiction and mental health challenges
- Relate the pathway to starting a Recovery Café and joining the Recovery Café Network